Maskne: Tips and Tricks
Let’s talk about a subject that most of us have been dealing with since the beginning of the pandemic….Maskne! If you haven’t heard this specific term, chances are, you may already be experiencing it.
Maskne is acne breakouts that are occurring from consistent mask wearing. The main areas tht are affected are usually cheeks, along the bottom chin strap/jawline, bridge of the nose, around the mouth area.
Why does it happen? There are many contributing factors to acne breakouts when wearing a mask. Here are the basics:
- Friction: Leading to irritation
- Heat: increases inflammatory response and sebum production
- Moisture: trapped sweat and high levels of humidity cause irriatation and a damaged skin barrier.
- Trapped Dirt: causing clogged pores
We’ve compiled a list of tips to battle maskne and help keep your skin clear!
- Apply moisturizer along the heavier areas of friction strengthening the skin barrier
- Avoid abrasive fabrics-softer masks with cloth edges, cotton material
- Wash your masks frequently/every day-this removes all of the remaining dead skin cells
- Avoid wearing makeup- mineral makeup, or tinted sunscreen is best if you need to put something on, but try to avoid heavy makeup in problem areas.
- Keep your skincare routine simple, yet consistent- more products may cause more irritation.
- Use soothing products, rather than harsh irritating ones.
Remember, it may not just be the mask….stress and other factors like hormones and diet can affect acne breakouts as well.
If you need any extra help with any skincare needs, our amazing providers are here for you! Schedule your appointment today! 910-256-4350