Tips To Battle Maskne Acne Breakouts
As much as we would like to say the “mask” phase is over, with the upticks in COVID-19 cases, it looks like our mask fashion will continue for the immediate future. Many have been experiencing the effects of wearing a mask and thus the term “maskne” has become common in our conversations. Maskne is acne breakouts that are occurring from consistent mask wearing. The main areas that are affected are usually cheeks, along the bottom chin strap/jawline, bridge of the nose, and around the mouth area. Why does it happen? There are many contributing factors to acne breakouts when wearing a mask. Here are the basics:
- Friction: Leading to irritation
- Heat: increases inflammatory response and sebum production
- Moisture: trapped sweat and high levels of humidity cause irritation and a damaged skin barrier
- Trapped Dirt: causing clogged pores
We’ve compiled a list of tips to battle maskne and some of our favorite products and procedures to help keep your skin clear!
- Apply moisturizer along the heavier areas of friction strengthening the skin barrier.
- Avoid abrasive fabrics-softer masks with cloth edges, cotton material
- Wash your masks frequently/every day-this removes all of the remaining dead skin cells.
- Avoid wearing makeup- mineral makeup, or tinted sunscreen is best if you need to put something on, but try to avoid heavy makeup in problem areas.
- Keep your skincare routine simple, yet consistent- more products may cause more irritation.
- Use soothing products, rather than harsh irritating ones.
Some of our top product picks to battle your maskne are:
- SkinCeuticals Gentle Cleanser
- Cerave Acne Foaming Wash
- Revision Intellishade
- SkinMedica Ultra Sheer Moisturizer
- Skinceuticals Conditioning Toner
- SkinMedica Rejuvenative Toner
- Revision Por Clarifying Mask (a great addition once or twice a week to troubled areas, or entire face)
If you’re looking for a little more than products to keep your skin looking refreshed, this is a great time of the year to do a series of chemical peels or add a DiamondGlow Dermalinfusion treatment to your monthly skincare. Remember, it may not just be the mask…stress and other factors such as hormones and diet can affect acne breakouts as well. If you need extra help with any skincare needs, our amazing providers are here for you! Schedule your appointment today: 910-256-4350.